Re: Good & Bad Maxwell Caps, MMC questions?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Bill,

Sorry to hear about the premature death of your cap! I'll address your
first set of questions, and will let others address the questions about
MMC's. The particular Maxwell cap you have is indeed a "good" one - it's
rated for 1000 pulses per second (PPS) with an expected lifetime of 200
million pulses (90% survival), and is designed for 20% voltage reversal. It
is an excellent choice for Tesla Coil use. However, you most likely
overvolted it by driving it from a 15 kV NST bank. Why? The answer is a bit
complex...

Your NST's output voltage 15 kV RMS. This means that the peak voltage will
be 1.414 times greater, or 21,200 volts assuming you don't aren't getting
additional rise from resonance charging effects, and you're not purposely
"boosting" the input voltage to 140 volts via your variac. Let's assume
that the tank cap is charged to the peak voltage. When the main gap fires,
the capacitor is discharged into the primary inductor, forming a "ringing"
LC circuit with an effective Q of around 10-15 (assuming typical loading by
the secondary). The circuit begins to oscillate, and one half cycle later
the capacitor reverses polarity, hitting 85%-90% of its initial voltage,
but with reversed polarity. The sudden voltage reversal severely stresses
the capacitor's dielectric system - it's equivalent to applying the SUM of
the initial voltage AND the reversed voltage - about 185% to 190% of the
initial voltage!

For your system, it's equivalent to applying 39 - 40 kV to your 30 kV cap.
Even worse, these voltage reversals are quite rapid, occurring in tens of
microseconds or less. The typical failure mode is corona breakdown, surface
tracking, and eventual breakdown of the dielectric along the edges of the
capacitor's plates (where the local E-fields are most intense). A useful
rule of thumb is to take the RMS rating of the NST multiplied by 3 or 4
times to arrive at the MINIMUM DC voltage rating for the commercial pulse
capacitor. A 15 kV NST should have pulse caps rated for at least 45 kV and
(better yet) 60 kV.

Next time, try to get get two of these caps and connect them in series. Or
construct an MMC... :^)

Good luck!

-- Bert --
--