Re: Twin coils on ebay

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<acmnovak-at-msn-dot-com>

> How could a tesla coil possibly kill anyone???
> My cap only stores 3.7 joules and it takes 16 joules to kill.
> The only real dangerous part of my coils are the rotary spark gaps. They
> spin electrodes at around 60 mph...
> One could be seriously hurt by them, but It would take some effort to get
> killed by them.
>
> -Mike

Hi Mike ...

I do hope you were being a bit humorous in the post above...

How can a tesla coil kill ya???   My cap only stores 46 Joules (
approximately 45KV -at- .03uF)

my primary voltage is 30KV at about .65 amps   ( aka 280V in at 80 or so
amps in)
full swing primary volts are about 42KV

secondary volts off of the toroid ... I cant even guess  but the streamer
length is a good 12
feet...
hmmm  maybe I will guess ... lets say  750,000 - 1 million V tops...

touching ANYTHING , the primary side, the secondary side, heck even the
240V feed to the
variacs is enuf to kill ....

as far as a rotory gap flying apart...  a 10" dia. disc at 1800 rpm
developes about 78 feet per
second tangental velocity..  if you are using 3600 rpm ... 154 fps ...
about 105 MPH , that
coupled with a 1/4" by 1" long tungsten electrode coming at ya ...  I could
imagine that being
able to kill...

BUT ....  we should know this kinda stuff..  we should be aware of the
potential hazards
involved... and last but most importantly...  we should be extremely safe
when doing things....

many of us are still here because they are following the simple rules ideas
I noted above ...

Scot D