Re: Primary coil idea

Hi all,
        A note on this "splitting" issue:

On 13 Jul 01, at 12:35, Tesla list wrote:

<Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi Pete,
>     What you are saying would be workable, but you must keep a couple of
> things in mind.  First, the coupling between the coils needs to be
> loose(around 0.2 for the coupling coefficient).  What you are suggesting
> could easily lead to overcoupling which will cause two frequencies to be
> generated on the secondary(which are equally displaced on either side of the
> actual resonant frequency of the coil).  The problem with this is that
> constructive/destructive intereference will occur and cause spots of high
> voltage to appear at locations below the top of the coil.  I think the hot
> spots will actually travel up and down the secondary at a rate equal to the
> difference between the two frequencies assuming it doesn't burn up the
> windings on the first pass.  This is why most people simply use a flat
spiral
> primary.

*All* disruptive coils produce "frequency splitting", guaranteed. It
is an inevitable consequence of the act of running the primary down
while running the secondary up. The sidebands exist because the
amplitude of the waveforms is changing continuously. You can see
whether a coil is going to do this or not by feeding a *high*
impedance sig gen across the primary *with the gap shorted* and
monitoring the secondary e-field with an aerial scope probe. You will
find there are *two* resonant peaks, not one and  neither is the
resonant frequency of your primary or secondary as measured on its
own. If it doesn't do this, then you will not get the system to
produce sparks.

Regards,
Malcolm