and end the thread....  - Terry

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:38:37 -0600
From: "Kevin Christiansen" <KevinC-at-CrystalCanyon-dot-com>
To: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Interesting.

Either the seller of these caps isn't very good at copying down numbers,
or Aerovox isn't very good at math, or there is something else amiss.

According to the item listing on ebay, the label says
4000 VDC and 300 uF and 3120 joules.

4000 VDC and 300 uF implies 2400 joules.
4000 VDC and 3120 joules implies 390 uF.

I wonder what these caps really are...

- Kevin Christiansen

===============================
> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>

> Check out Item # 1615619852. 300MFD at 4,000V each. There are 8 in this lot
and
> they are Aerovox. They are probably just a little too big for Tesla Coil use,
> but they would make a good can crusher,quarter shrinker, or EMP device for
> sure! The bid is only at $100 and there is about 3 days left. The only thing
is
> the shipping, the whole lot weighs about 900LBS, if you live in or near
> Albequerque, NM, $100 doesn't sound bad if you could arrange a pickup.

I cannot be completely certain, but listed one is probably from 1979 and a
paper only dielectric capacitor, and of no value for AC use.

3kJ is still pretty exciting.

==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====
  The Exploding Fruit Challenge!                Rev. K. Kanno

  www.energybeam-dot-com               blowup-fruit-at-energybeam-dot-com
==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ==== ====
==============================
In a message dated 7/13/01 5:16:40 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Check out Item # 1615619852. 300MFD at 4,000V each. There are 8 in this lot
and
they are Aerovox. They are probably just a little too big for Tesla Coil
use,
but they would make a good can crusher,quarter shrinker, or EMP device for
sure! The bid is only at $100 and there is about 3 days left. The only
thing is
the shipping, the whole lot weighs about 900LBS, if you live in or near
Albequerque, NM, $100 doesn't sound bad if you could arrange a pickup.
   -Jake D.

Jake, all,

These caps are $100 EACH, not $100 for the whole lot of 8.
BTW,  I just picked up a 100 uFD, 10 kV Maxwell
energy discharge cap from this same eBay seller, and it's
one hot cap for can crushing :-) I had to come off the pocket
book though, as these were $250 EACH, plus shipping.

David Rieben