Re: First light - NOTHING HAPPENED!

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I suspect your 2L soda bottle cap is the problem. I
suggest a 6-pack of 12oz beer bottles or wine cooler
bottles, glass please, no plastic.  This will give you
something close to .005uF (5nF).  FYI, a single 12oz
beer bottle is good for 750-900pF.  For your 15/30
NST, a 6-pack is a good starting point.  Later, you
might get better results with more bottles, up to 9 or
so in parallel.

FYI, a number of small bottles actually gives more
capacitance than a few big ones.  The reason is that
capacitance is based on the surface area of the
plate/dielectric surface area, not on the volume of
the vessel.  Since the volume of a cylindrical vessel
increases much faster than it's surface area as it
gets bigger, using a few big bottles tends to yield a
heavy capacitor with low capacitance.

Also, your top load may be too big for your smallish
power supply.  A 6" diameter ball covered with foil
would make a better top load for first light.  For
initial tune up, I'd also put a sharp breakout point
on it, such as a thumb tack.  After you get it
sparking, you can drop the breakout point and try a
larger top load.

I've done a lot of experimenting with beer bottle
caps.  Check out my web site some time.

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg