Re: secondary question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/12/01 12:47:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> So I discharged the caps and reached out and
> put my hands on the seconday to lift it to look at it and I got a
> surprizing shock.  I touched it a few more times and got a few more jolts
> and found the higher up I got the more powerful they were.  After about
> five jolts they died but after I powered the coil they came back.  I had
> never heard of this on any pages before (although I may be wrong) so I was
> surprized.  They weren't terribly powerful but they did fell a lot like
> static shocks from a Van De Graff generator, but I'm not sure how my coil
> could produce much static.

< An admirer of coilers everywhere,
<    -Will Daniels

Will,

There was am extensive discussion about this phenomenon
on the TCML around a year or so ago. Go to the pupman
list archives and look up the "Strange Shock" thread. Many
coilers have encounterd this effect (myself included) and al-
though there are some ideas (namely the "electret effect")
as to the cause of this, it remains a poorly explained pheno-
menon.

David Rieben