Re: Vacum gaps and variacs

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Of course, depending on the gap design, you really
don't have to have a variac. You can simply drill a
hole where either some of the vacuum (for a vacuum
gap) or some pressure can escape. You can adjust the
airflow by opening or closing the size of the hole by
partially covering it with duct tape. Kind of low
tech, but it's that most vacuum cleaners have used for
years. Of course, this is more of a trial and error
method than the real time adjustment of a variac. But
for those coiling on a shoestring...

Adam

> Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>
>
> Howdy all,

> strengths, I hooked up
> my Gary Lau style gap to a variac. I use a 5hp shop
> vac as the vacum source.
> I found that indeed full power was reducing my spark
> by about 15-20%.
> Somewhere in the range of 65vac seemed best,
> although as my power does drop
> when I run my coil, I'm not sure what the voltage
> really is when the coil is
> running. 'Cause I ain't gonna turn on my DMM and
> find out!

=====
Adam Minchey
yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com