RE: static gap fan speed

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Ted,

Good question.  The so-called "universal" type motor
can be adjusted very nicely with a cheap dimmer
switch.  Universal motors have certain traits that
make them easy to identify:  1)They are brush-type
motors that tend to spark while running.  2)They tend
to be quite powerful for their size.  3)They tend to
run at very high RPM (5000-25000RPM).  Another
interseting bit of trivia--universal motors run
equally well on AC or DC current.

120VAC powered hand tools such as drills, angle
grinders, routers, jigsaws, circular saws, weed
wackers, etc., usually use universal motors.  Also,
most household vacuum cleaners use universal motors.

I've used dimmer switches to vary the speed of most of
the examples I've given, with no harm to the motor or
dimmer. My angle grinder RSG and my two horned sucker
gap (based on a vacuum cleaner motor) are both
controlable via a dimmer switch.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg