Re: Math help...

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

John,

As Ed points out, energy transfer in magnetic circuits where ferromagnetics
are involved are never lossless. However, John is correct for the typical
air core transformer used in a 2 coil TC.

The example I was discussing compared the initial energy residing in the
tank cap at the instant the main gap fired versus the maximum energy in the
secondary at the end of the first energy transfer cycle. This was the
condition that Malcolm described (if I recall, this was done quite some
time back...). But if you don't directly measure the secondary voltage, how
can this be accomplished??

The measurement was done by:
1. Using a "magic" value for coupling (so that both the voltage and current
simultaneously hit zero upon completion of an energy transfer
2. Preventing breakout from the toroid even at peak secondary voltage
3. Permitting the peak secondary energy to transfer back into the primary
circuit (easy, since it's virtually impossible to quench the gap under
these conditions)
4. We then measure the primary capacitor voltage once the secondary's
energy has completely transferred back into the primary capacitor.

We actually measure the primary tank cap voltage before and after TWO
energy transfers. We can then back compute the energy that must have been
transferred to the secondary during a single primary-to-secondary energy
transfer. Under these conditions, it was determined that you could transfer
over 90% of the original tank energy to the secondary. Once it was there,
we can either dissipate part of it as streamers (desirable case) or return
most of it back to the primary (the case we measured).

This does not take into effect losses in the charging circuit, and we have
purposely avoided losses from leaders/streamers. It does not address
scaling. However, anything that reduces main gap losses and secondary
losses will improve the primary-secondary transfer efficiency. High Z
primaries and lower operating frequencies (i.e., John Freau's guidelines
for efficient coil design) should apply...

Hope this explains the situation...

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>