Re: Biggg Coil running again

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Hi John, Kevin and all,

Tesla list wrote:

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 7/7/01 11:32:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> >    The 120 bps rotary had some arc follow around when wired in series with
> >  the vacuum static gap using 2 gaps.  I increased it to all 5 gaps, and
> >  output dropped to nill.   The static gap was bypassed all together, and
> >  rotary follow around stopped, the output arcs brightened nicely.
> >

> Kevin,
>
> Congratulations on getting the hanger built, and all.   This is very
> interesting about the rotary follow-around stopping when you eliminated
> the series static gaps.  This is directly opposite to the common
> belief that series gaps are needed to help quench the gap and
> prevent follow-around.  It would seem, at least in some cases,
> that the need or desireablity of the series gaps is yet another
> coiling myth.  It is significant that the series gaps not only didn't
> help your coil, but made it worse.

I have a theory why the spark gap quench better without the seri
SG in your setup: First experience proved that the best way to
quench a gap are streamer break out, releasing power from the
circuit, may be without the seri gap more power are available in
the coil promoting a faster formation of streamer and releasing power.

Cheers,

Luc Benard

  I myself do not use series