Re: Strange behavior

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Weazle,

As soon as I read your description of the problem, my
first thought was "his spark gap is overheating".
Check for hot spots on your gap electrodes.  You might
have to switch to another gap design to clear up the
trouble.

I can also suggest a quick diagnostic.  Put a sharp
breakout point such as a thumbtack on the toroid.  If
the sparks from the point start out full-size at
first, then gradually shrink in length over a minute's
firing time, then spark gap heating is indicated.  If
the sparks still cut off suddenly, without even a
corona brush at the point, then it probably is not
spark gap heating.

Good luck with it,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg