re: Strange behavior

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Weazle, all:

I've 2 similar occurences when (eesh...) secondary coils failed on me. Both
times, I was running waaaaay too much power into the coils, and output
streamers went to nothing. I then waited, checked, wondered......and fired
again. Streamers were there again, then nothing again.

So check inside your coil, you're looking for a relatively unnoticeable brown
line, going from top to bottom (or vice versa). If you find it, sand it all
off and give it a good thick coat of insulation. If it's too bad (like, if
the inside of your coil is all black like ours was), its shot.

If you see something like this:

www.angelfire-dot-com/tx4/coronazone/firstlit.html
(pic at bottom of page)

your coil is shot. Theres no sanding that out! Have a good one, hope your
coil is okay.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com