Re: Check Your MMC Bleeder Resistors?

Original poster: "Sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!

I got a ton 'o MMC here.  I checked all the resistors I could reach (i
didn't really count on having to measure 'em), and aside from the dead ones,
they're all within specs.  They measure a little low, as normal, but the low
reading is consistant across 'em all (i measured over 100 resistors).  As
for the level of abuse they've gotten, everything from a 4/30 all the way up
to a 14.4kv pole pig at 8kva, when RMS current got the best of a few
strings.  Oopsie!

So my un-professional opinion, the resistors (I'm using the Digikey ones
Terry sent with the panasonic caps) are good to go till they physically
smoke-test.  Mine only died as the strings died and at that point, the
fireworks showed through :)
Some considerations,

- make your solder joints as smooth as possible.  I had some arcing because
of the little points I neglected to smooth on my solder joints.
- twist the leads.  Yes, it *IS* a PIA for a big MMC, but I've had some
crazy current across my MMC, and it was enough to de-solder the primary tap
on long runs. (wholy cripes!)  I would not want my MMC to start falling
apart.
- put a resistor on every cap.  I tried to cheat and put one every other
cap.  I got jolted for my trouble.
- do keep some space between the caps, about 1/4" or so.  I crammed some of
mine together to save space, but it makes visual inspection hard when you
see and hear a failing string, but can't find the caps that are split open.
and the panasonics can have most of their shells split open and the core
melted and *still* test good.  Trust me on that one.

I think that's got it all :)

Shad