RE: NST protection...

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

No, protection networks using inductors or chokes are either ineffective
if just added in series with the NST outputs, or actually make matters
worse is used in conjunction with bypass caps, at they will then
resonate at some other frequency, potentially worse than nothing at
all..  Choke-based filters are the "old school" way, before transient
response considerations and simulators were used.

The current thinking is to use R-C filters.  Terry's web site has one
such schematic at:
http://www.hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg,
and my web site has a similar circuit at:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/protection.htm.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "spoonMAN by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I've heard of inductors being used between the tank and the
secondary side of the NST for protection.. would 15 - 20
tunrs of 12AWG wire on a few old transformer cores be
enough to protect the tranny from certain death?

Ben McMillen