RE: dimmer switches

Hi Gary,

At 05:37 PM 7/5/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Terry:
>
>The dimmer failed in the full-ON mode.  Beyond being full-ON, there were
>no fireworks.  The edge of the circuit board was very close to the metal
>case, and there was a PC trace very close to the edge of the board.
>There was a carbon track from that trace to the edge of the board.  I
>had an R-C snubber circuit across the two dimmer terminals, but this had
>no bearing on the case-to-trace arc.

Interesting!  I am thinking that a high power dimmer with a standard line
filter and MOVs on the "output" side toward the NST may work.  The fact
that they fail full on is sort of a problem.  I wish I could think of a
failsafe way to have it fail "off".

>I didn't follow what you meant by "a different source impedance to the
>typical Telsa coil circuit".  Were you thinking of using such a dimmer
>to control the NST  ?

Yes.

>I just used it mine on a "universal" vacuum
>cleaner motor for my static gap.  Wow, the saturating shunts on NST's
>are enough of a mystery with a sinusoid input.  I can't fathom what
>chopped AC will do!

Sound sort of interesting doesn't it :-))

Cheers,

	Terry