Re: TESLA MAP UPDATED

Hi Kevin,

 I'm running the updated version (right now) and I have a couple concerns
to note:

Screen #1 of TC Design: All looks good. Spark length matches John's NST
formula.

Screen #2: The toroid calculated optimum still shows 17" x 68" toroid? You
show this is from J.F.'s
formula to match toroid to voltage and current. Can you or John comment
here? I assume this is based on
the transformer since this is the data input thus far. This would be a 17"
x 88" toroid (major diameter
edge to edge)? Seems a bit big, don't you think? This isn't right. I know
optimum toroid is always a
challenge, but I really don't think we've managed a correct method for
calculating optimum toroid size
(based off transformer ratings - at least not for 14.4kv, 694mA pole pigs).
Maybe this is "strictly" low
current NST's?

Screen#2 (cont.): I input a toroid I measured my new coil with 2 nights ago
(7.4" x 32", e-e) or (7.4" x
24.6" with your major diameter method). My coil is 8.5" x 40.375" at 1,725
turns of 24awg. With my
toroid, TeslaMap shows Fr at 86kHz (100% toroid) and then 95kHz (72%
toroid). Fr for this coil is too
high. JavaTC identified 63.2kHz (100% toroid) and then 70.2kHz (72%
toroid). As metioned I measured Fr on
this coil 2 nights ago with this toroid (placement of toroid is sec top
winding center of minor
diameter). I measured 70.3kHz. Cself seems close to JavaTC but the
secondary inductance is very low
(TeslaMap = 70.1mH, JavaTC = 121.7mH). This is why Fr is so high. JavaTC
uses (Radius^2 * Turns^2) /
((9*Radius) + (10*Height)) for Ls in uH (x 0.001 for mH). Whatever is going
on, TeslaMap is not right,
but I'm not sure if it's a different formula or if your compensating in
some way. Either way, the Fr
measurement confirms it's far too high. No top load measured 111.8kHz
(JavaTC showed 110.7kHz).

So, I decided to use the check box for "entering my own frequency". I
entered 70.3Khz. Once I did this,
TeslaMap back calculated the turns to 1,716. Off by 1000 turns. (it may
have been better to back
calculate inductance).

Screen #3 (Primary): Well, darn. The window is off the screen. I can't see
below 2/3 of the output and
there's no scroll bar or any way I can view the bottom. I did tab down once
below the last input box and
hit enter. This apparently calc's the inputs because the turn data showed
up. Oh well. BTW, my primary is
Flat, 11" I.D., 0.375 W.D., 0.39" Spacing, 33" O.D., and tunes at 14.9
turns (checked via Fr
measurement). Also, 128.6uH.

Screen #4: Same problem of seeing only 2/3's of it.

Secondary inductance and toroid optimum designs are the main concerns here.
BTW, my cap size used was
40nF. I'll try to go through the rest of the menu items as time permits.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "The Big Giant Kevin by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neo4s-at-hotmail-dot-com>