low temp resistance?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

Hey all!

I have to ask the impossible. In ballasting a pole transformer,

1: I have heard both that a resistor across the ballast (inductive) and in
series with the ballast are the best. Any thoughts on which it is?

2: Is there a resistive load that can be used that doesn't require
fire-proofing,and/or blowers to keep it cool? I would prefer not to have to
deal with bright red stove elements or water heater elements and buckets of
water to keep this cool :).

3: I'm sure that many of you have experimented with lots of different values
for resistors. What are the effects of the various ratings? is it simply
power lost to heat? or are there other issues that arise?

Thanks for any illumination on the subject!

Chris W