Re: High Voltage Question

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> There are really only two factors, losses and breakdown.  Assuming you use
> a fairly powerful source, the losses can be overcome.  BIG transformers get
> near 99% efficiency.  Breakdown is the next limit.  You start needing a lot
> of oil and spacing which gets impractical pretty fast.  If the frequency is
> high, then you have other problems too.  Field strengths and breakdown in
> the oil is another concern as the voltages get really high...

I would add that at high frequencies there are lots of parasitic
capacitances and transmission line effects, so you simply can't
build a true transformer. To make it work you have to tune the
resonances
of the two windings in a way that allows effective energy transfer, or,
you end with something as a Tesla transformer.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz