Re: spark gap question...

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

> In a message dated 6/29/01 9:14:58 AM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> Your triggered SG sounds very intriguing to me :-) I've never
> tried operation with a triggered gap, myself. I've always used
> either static gap for low powered sytems or RSGs for high
> powered systems. I'd like to know more of the details of your
> triggerd gap system.

hi david,
the first system i used, and am still using for gaps on my operating
systems, is simply a ford coil powered through a dimmer and 12uf cap
from an HID ballast. the hv lead from the coil goes to a carbide
electrode spaced between two carbide main electrodes for the tank. the
dimmer is set in the mid travel at startup and the gap trigger is
started before the tank power, then adjusted for best output. a safety
gap is a must if adjusting is sought because to much either way fires
the safety well.
my general design for the unblown (or sucked actually) is at:
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id36.htm
the blown setup that i used for the forced quenching tests is at:
http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id40.htm
i will post a schematic of the variable frequency\variable pulse width
circuit on my page asap so check back and use the site map.
i have very much to update and add to the page also.
marc m.
PI geek