Re: Dual primaries?

In a message dated 7/1/01 1:32:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Chris,

Well Lou Balint has built a magifier which uses two power supplies,
tank caps, primaries, secondaries, and sync gaps, all feeding a
single resonator.  If you use static gaps, the basic effect will
be an increase in the effective breakrate.  In Lou's case, he had
to concern himself with the phasing of the 120 bps sync gaps.
It was necessary to phase the gap so that one gap fired, and
rang down, and the other gap fired immediately after.  Both fired
more or less at the peaks of the 60Hz sine wave, but one had
to fire first then the other.  If the gaps were set so they fired at
the same time, the RF phase was mostly random, so the
sparks were shorter.  The RF phase is random in this case
because mechanical systems such as a spark gap are not
really very precise timing-wise.  Using two of everything is
usually less efficient than just using a larger transformer due to
increased losses in the components

John
-