Re: I got a new motor! (SRSG HELP)

In a message dated 1/27/01 8:12:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Andrew W by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> fateagk-at-home-dot-com>
>
>  Hello everybody,
>
>  I picked up a nearly brand new 1/3 hp motor today at a hamfest for $10. The
>  label says 1725 rpm. There is no motor start capacitor that I can tell. If
> this
>  is not a capacitor start motor, but an induction start, will this still be
>  usable as a SRSG? Also, just so I am sure my information is correct, do I
> need
>  4 flats at 90 degrees to each other for synch operation? How do I
determine
> how
>  much material to take off for each flat?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Andrew

Andrew,

Yes the motor is suitable and you are correct about the number
and placement of the flats.  I usually make the flats 1/3rd the width
of the diameter of the armature rotor.  However, recent work I did
suggests that the flats can be smaller such as 1/4 the the
armature diameter.  Scot posted info suggesting the flats be
made .980 the diameter of the rotor, or something similar to that.
If I were you, I would make them 1/4 the armature diameter and
see how it works out.

John