RE: Strange results / Coil specs

Original poster: "Simon Yorkston by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <quantumx-at-ozemail-dot-com.au>

Hi Terry.
It's lucky you didn't find an onld post, I've change a few measurements :)

>Power source is a 15/30 NST with a 6.27nF primary cap? Correct. Soon to be
10nF
>What type of spark gap are you using (rotary or static)? SSPG
>What is you line frequency there (50 or 60Hz)? 60Hz, I beleive

[Back from a measuring trip :)]
>What are the dimensions of your primary coil?
>Diameter of the inner hole? ~8.25"
>Outside diameter? 24.25"
>How many total turns? 16 [** see note A]
>Where are you tapping it for the best tuning? As far as it will go - 16
>Center to Center turns spacing? .5"
>Diameter Of primary tubing? .25"
>Is it flat or conical in shape? Flat
>
>What is the diameter of the secondary coil? 6"
>What is the winding length? 25" [height]
>What is the wire diameter or gauge? .71 mm / 22AWG
>How many turns of wire are there?  25" / .0289" == 862

I have two toroids, just because I made two. Good Idea or not, please advise
[It's just because I've seen plenty of coils w/ two toroids]
>What are the dimensions of your top terminal #1?
>Total outside Diameter if a toroid #1? 24"
>Diameter of the donut section if it is a toroid #1? 12"
>What is the distance from the top of the secondary winding to the center of
>the top terminal #1? With the other other toroid mounted [see below] - ~9"
>
>What are the dimensions of your top terminal #2?
>Total outside Diameter if a toroid #2? 16"
>Diameter of the donut section if it is a toroid #1? 6"
>What is the distance from the top of the secondary winding to the center of
>the top terminal #1? With the other other toroid mounted [see below] - ~4"
>

>Describe the protection filter componenet values?
>Resistance per leg? MMR of 4x3k [11W] = 12k  [not sure of wattage- do I add
that as well?]
>Capacitance per leg? 6*0.47 == 0.282 ufD
>How it is wired up (like mine?)? Yes.
>
>How long (in cm) are the arcs now? White arcs up to about 7" [grounded
rod] - not consistant

>Do you have a variac? No

There you go.

I know the caps are a bit near, eg, very near resonant value, so I won't
take off the protection unit and try it, until I have the new capacitors; I
plan to add another string of 15x0.047 caps, to bring the value of the tank
up to 0.0125ufd - closer to the value needed for a RSPG, but closer to 10
than 6 is :)

Thanks for your help Terry [et al]
Simon