Re: Ryan's Coil = DOES NOT WORK!

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ryan Ries by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<spud-at-wf-dot-net>

> Well, the only ammeter I have is part of my DMM, which is not meant to
> measure more than 20 amps -at- 120v.

big snipperzz...

Hi Ryan....

I did some quick calcs on your problem and came up with some numbers that
may suprize
you...

if the single MOT was run at 120V for 1200 watts ( which = approximately 10
amps) the
inductance of the MOT is around .032 Heneries   ( 32mH )   at 120V 60 Hz ,
32mH = about
12 ohms resistance.

when you place inductances in series the inductances are added up to
increase the total
inductance

by placing the 2 in series you ended up with approximately .064 H  ( 64mH )
 which is
about 24 ohms  ( these ohm values are reactive)

by feeding a voltage thru this setup you had reduced the amperage input to
the pig by half

what you could try to do is run the MOTS in parallel   when you parallel
inductances you
get a total that is less than both of them therefore less reactive
resistance and more
amperage to the load (pig)

paralleled MOTS from previous calcs = .016H ( 16mH) this = about 6 ohms
reactive which
should give about 20 amps in a 120V circuit.  If you applied 240 V the amps
should be
around 40 amps draw.. but im sure at this setup you are in a high risk area
of frying the
MOTS   due to the primary wire size not being thick enuf... wire size
should be about a #8
wire ( minimal) to handle such amperages

but beware ...   for some reason I havent figured out yet    as the voltage
increases the
amp draw does go higher than calculated ( maybe its core saturation of the
inductors ??? )

Scot D

still learning about EI cores and inductances too .....