RE: automotive alternators, three phase, RSG

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi

> The NST won't put out much current (the frequency will be higher
> than 60 Hz
> from the car alternator so the leakage inductance impedance will be higher
> in proportion... I think they run several hundred Hz.. Anybody know how
> many poles the typical alternator has?

I don't know if there is a "Typical" number of poles...
I have a Leece-Neville alternator that has 36 poles (12 * 3) and is delta
connected
although the book I have shows a neutral connection.
And a GM alternator that has 21 poles (7 * 3) and is wye connected.
I thought I had a Ford alternator apart on the shelf, but if it's there, I
can't find it.
I don't have a Chrysler alternator.
I would expect to find the number of poles varies with the application just
as much as other specifications do.  They do put out fairly high frequency,
though, because they are normally driven at around three times the engine
RPM so as to be able to charge at idle.

Also it is quite possible to get higher voltage out of an automotive
alternator once you've gotten rid of the regulator. I had a little yellow
box under the hood of my 1971 GMC that had a toggle switch, a large wire
wound resistor, a voltmeter (red, voltage too low, green voltage OK, red,
voltage too high) and a duplex outlet. You just cut the wiring harness
between the alternator and the regulator and hooked this thing in there and
with the switch in one position the alternator and regulator worked
normally. When you threw the switch the other way the regulator was cut out
of the circuit and replaced by the resistor, and the output of the
alternator was disconnected from the battery and connected to the duplex
receptacle. Then you adjusted the idle speed to about 1200 RPM and the thing
would power a drill or saw or just about anything you wanted to plug into it
that would run on 110 to 120 volts and had brushes. (universal motor) It
proved to be quite a handy gadget. It did not like driving through deep
water though, Ha, Ha.

Later
deano