Re: automotive alternators, three phase, RSG

Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

Hi All,
    I have had another idea. Oh dear... I know it is possible to rewind
standard 12/24v
alternators to run at 240 volts. I am assuming they are 2 pole as they run
at twice the
crankshaft speed. This would give 400 hz at 6000 rpm. a reasonable max
engine speed. Does anyone
know how much room there is in the slots? I am thinking that one could
rewind them to give out
say 8 kv. This would cut out the transformer. I suppose the limiting factor
would be the
insulation breakdown voltage. Anyone think of any problems I haven't
thought of. One could always
find the maximum voltage you could get away with and wind your own
transformers. At least the
turns ratio would be lower. I don't know if ferrite's would be better than
iron. I suppose it
depends of the frequency. I seem to remember that 400 hz is on the margin.

cheers
bob golding