Re: Lightning Arrestors (was Geek Pig)

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Rick and all,

Another even better reference is "Electronic Ceramics, Properties,
Devices, and Applications", by Lionel M. Levinson, Marcel Dekker, Inc.,
1988, 533pp. While silicon carbide varistors are mentioned, the focus is
really on the more modern Zinc Oxide varistors, due to their performance
advantage and lower leakage current. A very in-depth discussion of
theory of operation for ZnO MOV's is presented. It concludes that the
model which seems to best correspond with observation involves hole
creation and triggered tunneling across the grain boundary once the
inter-grain voltage rises above a critical value. So it appears that the
reason is indeed related to a combination of tunneling and semiconductor
effects.

Because of their lower leakage currents and sharper "turn-on"
characteristics, simple ZnO MOV's (with NO spark gaps) have pretty much
supplanted the older, more complex (and expensive!) spark gap and SiC
arrestors for power distribution arrestors.

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>