Re: Lightning Arrestors (was Geek Pig)

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Hi Bert,

Excellent pictures of the lightning arrestor.

I have a question about the silicon carbide "MOV".  What is the
architecture and composition of the MOV.  Is it classified as a true MOV?
Years ago I was told that the MOVs in question were innumerable random PN
junctions and both the forward and reverse voltage drops across the MOV
were due to the cumulative PN voltage drops.  Does anyone know how they're
constructed and how they function?

RWW