Re: Spark Gaps

In a message dated 1/24/01 2:20:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Its going to be a "mini" tesla coil - table top size.  I have a 15/60
>  Franceformer for the supply.  What is the cheapest/quickest spark gap I
>  could use without running the risk for hosing the NST?  Could someone give
>  me a reference to spark gaps?
>
>  I noticed most sites just sorta skip over how they made their "simple"
spark
>  gap. While they go into great deal on their rotary ones. :)  I also heard
>  discussion that a rotary is not ideal for a NST.
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  Troy

Troy,

ONe of the best types of spark gaps for an NST is a sync rotary
spark gap.  this will probably give the best spark lengths running
at 120 bps.  Static gaps can work well, but may need some air
blowing on them for a 15/60 nst or they may overheat and fail
to work properly.  A type that Gary Lau uses which is a single
vortex gap with air pressure is very good.  Also, a series static
multiple gap with heat sinks may be OK.  One type of gap is
called a RQ gap, but it should be called a TCBOR gap because
the TCBOR developed it.  There are other types too.  Sometimes
a simple fan gives enough air too keep it working.   This is
just a sort of overview as you can see.

JOhn