Re: Power Coating Caution (was: RE: Pig Beautification and Craftsmanship)

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Cool pics, I'm suprised the wall was still there.

We will NOT be powder-coating the pig. Though our Pig isn't a pressure
vessel (there's a poppet valve on ours to vent the air inside when it gets
warm, must run in a slight vacuum in the winter). A childhood of making
stationary steam engines (mostly in the "G" scale for you
ferroequineologists out there) has left me with a VERY healthy respect for
pressure vessels. I watched a Live-Steam boiler rupture between a mans legs
(he was sitting on the locomotive, a replica Baldwin) when his sight-glass
failed and he injected water into a hot-empty boiler. The crown-plate
flash-boiled the water and even though he had a pair of safety valves (set
at about 200psi) the volume of steam was no contest. He died a concussion /
Lobster style death and that stuck with me. The biggest pressure vessel I
ever made (and one of only 3 boilers) was a "Nifty 9 Tuber" vertical boiler,
all my other toys ran on compressed air from the compressor in Dads shop.

How hot can a Pig get without problems? We ARE planning on painting it, and
this requires the use of an automotive paint booth (yeah, it's our faraday
cage) where the pig will be baked after the primer coat, base coat, and
clear coat. What special precautions should we take (other than removing the
poppet-valve to ensure venting)? I know these will operate in summer,
full-sun, under load so I'm assumeing they can take 150F with ease, is this
so?

Now on to invent a Tesla-coil discharge heated boiler for that next
Heistler.......hmmmmmmmmmm

Electricity - steam - motion....interesting though usually it's Steam -
motion - electricity :)

lol

Have Fun!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1