RE: Geek Pig! :)

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><deano-at-corridor-dot-net>
>

>I have used a pig to power a 2 3/4 inch dia. coil before, and normally is
>it
>for my four inch coil.

That's quite a bit of overkill isn't it?

Is it possible to toast a secondary with that much power? I would think it
would damage it easily.

Where can I get a variac big enough for this beast? I can't find them
locally so I'll have to get one donated...how big do I need? I'm hoping I
don't have to hunt down a full 50A...but I have a feeling I will.

> > We also got 3 large 12kV lightning arrestors (they're about 6"dia and
>18"
> > tall) and 2 small ones (the usual ones, about 3"dia and 10"
> > long), plus some
> > HV switchgear for our Project Thumper and the (as yet unnamed) Marx
>bank.

The Marx bank is now named Project Groucho (yes, really)

Can the smaller (3"dia X 10"L) 12kV arrestors be used for protection of the
Pig?
Do Pigs NEED protection? The Lightning arrestors we have are all rated at
12kV, but the Pig is rated at 13.8 and I KNOW the arrestors were hooked up
to it when in service. What is the actual firing voltage of the arrestor?
Does anyone know the internal construction of the arrestors? Especially the
large ones (about 6"dia X 18"L), they are a large grey ceramic insulator
with the bottom  having much smaller ribs and encased in a 4" deep aluminum
base. Mounting is by 3 bolts on the bottom. There is something akin to
Creosote holding it in place and sealing it to the base. It's black,
brittle, Glass like....but has a bad-smelling powder when beat on or filed.
I need a Dremel.....I can accomplish anything with a Dremel and the right
bit.....:)

>What is the high voltage rating? 7.2? 14.4? switched? other?

13.8kV at 10kVA, 208 Lbs

>Yes. Put 240V into the outer two bushings, with adequate current limiting
>of
>course, and remove the strap from the center bushing. Be sure to check the
>LV windings with an Ohmmeter after removing the strap to make sure there is
>no continuity to the case. Leave the center terminal N.C.. To use the
>single
>bushing pig with a Tesla coil, connect the case to RF ground, also the
>inside turn of the primary to RF ground.

Ok....you want me to make a direct connection between my primary coil's
inner turn and the base of my secondary? i.e. have them BOTH going to RF
ground?
Doing so I've JUST made something akin to an Oudin coil haven't I?  Or have
I just induced a nice 60hz harmonic into the (now deadly) output of the
coil?
This doesn't make any sense.....please explain. Because to my (and my still
learning brain) connecting the pig case, and primary coil inner turn to RF
ground (i.e. the same wire that runs outside (or to the cage)) and to the
base of my sec, is a bad thing.

Hey....it WOULD stop the arcing problem though....at least I think it
would......hmmmmmmmmm

The high voltage output from the
>bushing to one end of the tank cap, the other end of the cap to the outer
>tap on the primary coil. The spark gap of course connects between the high
>voltage bushing to tank cap connection and ground.
>
>ASCII ART follows, use fixed width font (courier) to view:
>
>                         Cap
>    *------------*--------||------*
>    |            |                |
>   pig           0                3
>   HV     spark     gap           3 TC pri.
>   out           0                3
>                ===
>                 - RF ground

It came out here :)