RE: HV Hookup Wire

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hello Dennis and all:
Although I work for RadioShack, my admiration of the #8 Mega Cable is based
on personal use of the cable. In a word, it is great for your entire tank
circuit. The method that Tandy Wire & Cable used to strand the core makes it
incredibly flexible for #8 cable. And the red or black vinyl covering is of
decent thickness too. They took no shortcuts in developing this wire.

I might sleeve it with an extra tube of vinyl and use that for my outboard
HV leads from the NSTs to a HV panel. That will terminate in a ring lug at
the NST end and a PL259 at the panel end. The wire Cat. No. are 278-1351
(red) and 278-1352 (black).

The only bad news is that it retails for 99 cents/foot. But if anyone wants
some contact me off list. As an employee I get it at 75 cents/foot.

Safety First

Ted

Subject: Re: HV Hookup Wire

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/21/01 8:21:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

>  Hi,
>  Anyone know if the 8 awg that radioshack sells would work for some hookup
>  wire (15/30)? If not, what would work good? I've seen in some pictures
what
>  seems to be relatively small (considering the voltage) gauge wire with
>  aligator clips for quick connects. Should I buy certified high voltage
wire
>  maybe from a neon shop or will something else work?
>  Thanks for all the input,
>  Dennis

Dennis,

All the methods you mentioned will work.  I usually use 12 awg
house wiring or stranded, etc.  If it's not HV wire, then just make
sure there's enough clearance to nothing arcs to anything else.
On a small coil like that, losses are not an issue.  Using thicker
wire won't help the spark length at all.

John