Re:HV Hookup Wire

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Leik3-at-aol-dot-com>

>Hi,
>Anyone know if the 8 awg that radioshack sells would work for some hookup
>wire (15/30)? If not, what would work good? I've seen in some pictures what
>seems to be relatively small (considering the voltage) gauge wire with
>aligator clips for quick connects. Should I buy certified high voltage wire
>maybe from a neon shop or will something else work?
>Thanks for all the input,
>Dennis

Hi Dennis!,

I use #10 stranded wire from hardware store, Lowe's, etc., run through 1/4"
polyethylene tubing for most hookup stuff on my 15/60. I would be reluctant
to trust just the factory coating on hook-up wire for anything over 2KV
unless I was sure that it could never come close enough to anything else to
arc over.
Matt D.