Re: getting three phase power

Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Eric.  Well, I think that Tesla himself used 3 phase juice at the
Colorado Springs experiment, or at least I think I read he had a
Westinghouse power tranny that was 3 phase, so maybe there is something
to this. Not that I would want such a large service at my own humble
abode!..    Al.

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:21:41 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Eric Davidson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <edavidson-at-icva.gov>
>
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone give me ONE good reason why you would need/want to power
> a Tesla
> coil with 3-phase?? All this talk of trying to get 3 phase service
> to your
> home, telling the power company you have a 10 hp motor you need to
> power...
> stuff like that...gimme a break....a Tesla coil is a decidedly
> SINGLE phase
> device.   You may argue that creating the DC for a VTTC might be a
> little
> better using 3 phase, but even that would hardly justify the
> $THOUSANDS$ of
> dollars needed to bring 3 phase service to the average home.  IMHO
> we should
> let the 3 phase discussion thread die on the vine, there is ample
> fodder for
> discussion in tweaking, optimizing and theorizing about our single
> phase
> coils.  Coil safe
>
> Eric
> edavidson-at-icva.gov