Re: Ballasting and a small problem

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

>  Hi All,
>
>  Got my 240v drop done last night, and of course, wired my pig up
> and let 'er rip on a jacob's ladder so I could get my ballasting
> set properly.

snipperzzz...

Hi Shad ....

I also have been trying to make some type of semi variable inductor that
can handle up to 60 A
and have found out that an EI core with a sizeable core is needed (
approximately 24" square
area )

a welder will work for a while but the primary will burn out eventually...
if you have several
old NST cores try stacking them together till you get about 18 - 24 square
inches of area for
the flux to run thru...

wind this with a #10 solid copper THHN wire about 250 or so wraps.  This
should get you started
on your way to the upper ends of the amp ratings of the pig with out too
much voltage
loss...    try using the "I" part of the core assemblies as a varying unit
for controlling the
amperages.  The closer you move the I section to the E section, the
amperage should drop
considering that you have wound the wire on the center leg of the E core.

Scot D