Re: getting three phase power

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: getting three phase power

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

> Hi Jim, Eric, All!
>

> Just for the record, in a last ditch effort to beat off
> Fessenden, Alexanderson, Poulsen and de Forest, Marconi
> (determined man!) set up three rotary spark gap primaries,
> with the gaps on a common shaft phased 120 degrees apart,
> feeding into one secondary so that the damped wave output
> from each primary partly filled in the holes from the others
> to give semi-continuous wave output.  OK so it isn't
> _really_ three phases, but I thought you'd like to know ;-)
>
> Sounds like sheer desperation to me, but no doubt somewhere
> out there is a Tesla coil builder equally desperate to use
> three phase ac without using rectifiers!

heck there are non-desperate people who will do it just for the novelty or
challenge or display the fine craftsmanship of their mechanical work.  I am
always much impressed by find woodworking, machining, etc.. Anyone who who
saw my coil with its truly unique (in the sense of impossible to duplicate)
"off-axis primary tuning inductor" at the last SoCal teslathon knows that I
am about as far from a craftsman as you can get.  Face it, there isn't much
commercial market for tesla coils or knowledge about the same, so you're
doing it as a hobby or curiosity, and oddities are always interesting.