Re: There is no 'best ' wire size, all things are equal.

Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Harvey. Sorry to be so late in posting this, but I just now caught it
while reviewing my mail list.  I know nothing of the resonant frequency
of the coil, since I do not spend a lot of time with math. I will try to
give you parameters of the coil as best I know how. But most if not all
of what I say here will be a repeat of my original post.   We try to do
mostly 'hands on' when working with the coils. And we wound this guy as
our fourth coil just to see what would happen.  If you wish to get more
parameters and values then you will have to punch them into your computer
using the true specifications that I give you here.  Anyway, it was a
common spool of #14ga. THHN green colored solid wire from Home Depot for
$15.00 used as is off the spool.  It is wound on a super polyurethaned
Quicktube(cardboard sonotube to most of the list) that is 12" in diameter
and 20" tall.  It is close wound and covers almost the entire form with
the exception of the last few inches at the top, which we spiral wound
and spaced for the last few turns to get us up to the top of the
secondary.  The primary was 2 turns of 3/8" copper tubing and the supply
was two 15/60 unpotted neons with 2 shunts removed from each side.
Capacitors in the tank were double ganged 4700pf in series x 15 in
parallel barium titanate "doorknobs" rated at 40kvdc. A total of 30 of
the 'doorknobs'.  Anyway, this was meant to be the drive for a maggie but
it gives great sparks and arcs over 48" driven as a plain secondary.
What surprised me most was that we only needed 2 turns of primary to get
this thing to give out with these big arcs.  You know what Harvey?  I
would appreciate it if you could give me some idea of the parameters of
this coil if you figure it out since it sounds like you have an
understanding of math which is much better than mine.  And perhaps other
mathematically inclined list members could shed some light on why this
works so well for us. Thanks,  AL.