Re: Grounding

Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Gary, All.  Yes, you can run a Tesla without a ground.  BUT,  it is
best to begin your experimentation with a good ground in place.  Then, as
you become more keen on what you are doing, then and only then should you
fire your coil without ground, if ever!   It is part of the learning
curve and it is best for a novice to use a good dedicated ground.  We
were the original posters of the "ungrounded" post, but we have since
gone back to using our dedicated 'Tesla' ground for safety's sake as we
get into higher powered apparatus.  A good ground is good common sense.
We only tried our coils without a ground just to see what would happen,
but only after much tweaking and about a years worth of learning with the
coils attached to a dedicated ground.  We just feel much safer with the
ground attached, too much energy there just waiting for something to hit!
 Be careful.   AL.

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:39:48 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
> To the amazement of many including myself, at least one person on
> this List
> has reported not connecting the bottom of the secondary and seeing
> no
> significant loss in performance.  While this may be true, I would
> strongly
> advise against this, as I believe that high voltage transients are
> far more
> likely to be coupled into your house AC wiring if a separate ground
> is not
> used.
>
> Gary Lau
> Waltham, MA USA
>

> Original poster: "Corey May by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <cbmay-at-home-dot-com>
>
> Hello, I have a question that I was wondering. What were to happen
> is you
> were
> to forget about grounding the secondary coil....just leaving the
> first
> wraped
> wire where it ends. My last wrap is expoxyed on and I was planing to
> cut it
> close to the formed so there would be no wire hanging loose on the
> end....good
> idea or bad? Thanks
>
> Corey

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!