Re: low vs high frequency tesla coils?

In a message dated 1/16/01 7:16:49 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> My question is what are the advantages of designing a low frequency coil as
>  opposed to a high frequncy coil(or disadvantages) using the same power
>  supply.
>  I could find out through experimentation but I am sure this has been done
>  before.
>  Are there any sources (web sites or archives) which give a general
>  comparison of spark length to frequency?
>  any help is welcome,
>
>  joseph

Joseph,

A very high frequency coil will produce short sparks.  I'd say
that low frequency is generally better.  Less losses, and it gives
time for the gap to deionize between RF transfer beat "notches".
Another advantage of low frequency, is it usually forces you to
use a lot of turns of wire which gives you a high inductance,
which indirectly reduces the gap losses, and gives better
efficiency.  Low freq also often requires larger longer coil forms,
which are less likely to arc over a be destroyed.

I discuss these issues some more at my website at:

    http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John Freau