Re: Colorado springs

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Belatedly:

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "D.Wightman" <dwightman-at-mmcable-dot-com>

> I just got back from visiting Colorado springs. I asked many people where the
> museum was, unfortunatly it is closed down. I then proceeded to look for
> tesla's lab. Finaly i found a local to the town who new some things. Many
years
> ago a housing subdivision was being built. The contractor found some of the
> remains of the barn where tesla did his work. Now there sits a house on it, I
> suppose that the residents of this house have no idea of the soil beneath its
> foundation. I was told that what attracted Tesla to Colorado springs was that
> Pikes peak, which sits just to the north, northwest of the site has some
quite
> unusual magnetic anamolies about it. The Airforce Academy sits to the
north of
> the town and pilots talk about the fact that if you fly an aircraft over it
> your compass swings as much as 17 degrees. I was also told that Tesla was
> interested in the lightning storms there.

> Any way i felt that the city of Colorado springs really has dropped the
ball in
> recognizing, Mr.Tesla.

	The lab burned within a few years (within the year?) after
	Tesla went back east.  Preservation/recognition costs money.

> As well as allowing the site to have a house built on top of it.

	It's private property.  It's owned by someone.
	(Ferinstance, I was in Boston Sunday.  All the the location
	of Ben Franklin's house has is a marker, on a 1900 vintage
	office building...)

> If anyone who reads this plans to go to Colorado springs, you will
> run into dead ends everywhere. Seems that after he died the government really
> went to work to hide everything in that town,

	At The Time there was no purpose to mark it.
	Last time i was there, there was a marker 'near' the lab site.

> that is with the exception of course, the writings and notes.

	The notes were 'missing' from his death until (roughly) 1970.
	There is no indication of a plot, simply no interest...

	best
	dwp