RE: Ideal Motor for SRSG???

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi,

My OPINION of what would make the IDEAL SRSG motor would be one with more
than enough HP, split phase (with a centrifugal switch inside), cap start,
induction run (up to about 1 HP, cap run thereafter). Shaded pole is
something to stay away from altogether. PSC (permanent split capacitor) will
work, but may have some problems starting. My 1200 RPM SRSG has a PSC motor
rated 1/4 HP and pulls a 7" dia. by 1/2" thick G-10 disk with six
electrodes. Sometimes it needs a push by hand to start, usually the first
couple of times after adjusting the firing angle. Then once it gets used to
the new setting it seems to start reliably. My other SRSG uses a 3600 RPM
1/3 HP split phase (cap start, induction run) motor and spins a 7" dia. by
1/2" thick G-10 disk with two electrodes. It has more than enough power, and
would be hard to improve on. I am very happy with it.

later
deano