Re: Tank circuit L/C ratio

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> >         I learned the term "surge impedance" in college, almost 60
years ago.
> > The definition was
> >
> >         Zs = sqrt(L/C)
> >
> > This is equal to the reactance of either L or C at the resonant
> > frequency of the referenced circuit, whatever it may be.  (Work it
> > out.)  Convenient for Q calculations and stuff like that.  Higher L/C
> > ratios result in higher impedances, nothing more than that, and nothing
> > magic at all.
>
> I know this term from transmission lines. Quoting "The radio amateur's
> handbook", 1947 edition (I love old books...):

	For those who may be interested in looking up old references, I have
copies of all of the ARRL handbooks from the first edition in 1926 until
about 1980.  I also have a complete collection of QST magazines, both in
hard copy and more lately on CD ROM's.  In the days up to about 1921
almost all of the guys were using spark, and there are a lot of articles
which would useful unto this day by TC nuts.  I have a plan that, "when
I have the time", I'll try to make some of the more interesting articles
and advertisements available here.  (I too love old books!)

Ed