Re: webpage

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

> That was one of my main motivators for doing this experiment
> and providing the tuning is right (grin, smoked some 2250Vdc
> mica caps due to mistuning!) the volts are indeed relatively
> friendly.  I aim eventually to be able to stick a 3A
> thermocouple ammeter in the line to help indicate the best
> power transfer - I have one sitting waiting, once I'm sure
> I'm not going to toast it.  I expect it'll be a month or
> three before I'm completely confident with this - it's a
> steep learning curve, despite having played with valves for
> a while the spark transmitter seems to have quirks of its
> own.  But then that's why I got into this game :-)

I think that the capacitor in the link should be in parallel, not in
series. The resulting circuit can then be tuned to work with the
same dynamics of an optimized magnifier. I repeat below an example
circuit that I posted some days ago: Transform the second transformer
into an autotransformer and you have what you want:

   gap   k12             k23
+--o o--+   +-----+-----+   +------+
|       |   |     |     |   |      |
C1      L1  L2    C2    L2  L3     C3
|       |   |     |     |   |      |
+-------+   +-----+-----+   +------+

(Use a fixed-width font to see the ascii art)
This is a kind of Tesla coil with two transformers in cascade, with
associated capacitances, everything powered by the initial voltage in
C1.
This circuit can be easily derived from a Tesla magnifier (or better,
a triple resonance network) by circuit transformations, and exactly
designed. Try for example the values:
C1= 10 nF
L1= 30 uH
C2= 5.55 nF
L2= 100 uH
C3= 10 pF
L3= 30 mH
k12=k23= 0.383
The initial energy in C1 goes entirely to C3 after 2.5 cycles,
producing a voltage gain of 31.6. If not used, it returns entirely
to C1 in another 2.5 cycles. The maximum voltage gain, as
in all these circuits, is sqrt(C1/C3), due to energy conservation.
Reference:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/magnifier.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz