Re: Poulsen Arcs

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

> Hi All!
>
> Bob Golding mentioned to me that someone has built a repro
> Poulsen Arc which was apparently of so-so utility for
> driving a Tesla coil.  Does anyone know anything about this?
> I'm very into old wireless gear.
>
> Dunckx

	Will try to find the URL for you.  I believe it's somewhere under my
Tesla listings, but can't remember the title.  Guy built an "arc
generator" which put out several hundred watts at around 100 Khz or so.
He used a pretty good sized electromagnet.  As I recall, he started out
trying to run it off an MOT at very high voltage, but finally wised up
and got it working pretty well.  I may also be talking about two
different fellows; can't remember but will try to research it.

	I've built one very small and barely successful oscillator here, using
"carbons" from AAA cells running under kerosene and operating at about
an amp at 120 VDC. No magnetic field. Thing oscillated up to 2 MHz. with
a signal which could be heard as a "gurgly" note (no surprise!) with RX
BFO on. At about 200 kHz the circulating current in the tank was a
couple of amps, but couldn't draw any power from it at all.  Lousy
design, but just the initial experiment to see if I could make one work
at all.  What got me started on the project was a memory of an ad in a
QST from very early 20's for a "200 meter arc generator".  Believe the
ad was from AMRAD, but have searched in vain for it for some time.
Pretty sure it wasn't my imagination, but ........

	If you're interested in arc generators I have a bunch of useful
references,IF you don't already have them, and at least a couple of old
construction articles.

Ed