Re: better sync motor mods?

In a message dated 1/10/01 7:47:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  snip
>  I have not tried your phase shift trick on this motor yet, but am planning
>  to soon. I am guessing that the optimal cap value will be 1/4  of that
>  required for a motor running on 120V. I am also giving thought to combining
>  the method, as I have a couple of extra variacs. One to adjust the voltage,
>  the other to shift the phase. Do you have any thoughts on that?
>
>  deano

Deano,

Well that was an interesting test you did.  So a 1/4" wide groove or
slot was not wide enough for your motor.  I guess when you
changed it to a flat, the slot was still there in the middle of the
flat, since the slot was pretty deep?  Anyway, I just did a somewhat
similar test which I'll post now, but I seem to be seeing different
results (maybe), although my test was different.

I agree that the 1/4 size cap seems to be correct.

My guess is that using an extra variac to control the voltage will not
extend the phase shift range over just one variac.  That's an intuitive
guess on my part.

Thanks,
John Freau