Re: better sync motor mods?

In a message dated 1/10/01 2:13:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> 3450 RPM (right
>  now). I've modified a similar one on the milling machine, and it DID cut
>  into the current bars (as did all of my past mods).

Mike,

My mods did cut into the current bars also, but not *fully through*
them.

>  I used the gereal rule
>  for determining width (1/2 dia for 3600 RPM; 1/3 dia for 1800 RPM) on all
of
>  the mods also. So, I was thinking I could mod both of my matching motors,
>  one with the standard method, and one with the V cut method, and compare
the
>  results.

That would be a very good test.

>  A few questions before I ruin a perfectly good motor though...

I don't think the V cut will *ruin* the motor.  At the worst, you've
still have to mill normal flats over the V (perhaps leaving the
deepest part of the V there).

>  How fast is the motor you've looked at?

1800 rpm, there are four V cuts as expected.

>  How wide were the V cut groves in respect to the rotor diameter?

The tops of the V are 1/2 the width of the uncut portions.  You can
figure it all out from that.

>  How deep are the V cuts?

Looks like about 1/8" deep on this 1.5"? dia rotor armature.  I doubt
it's very critical.

John Freau
-