Re: better sync motor mods?

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

John, Finn, etc....
Well, I just couldn't leave this one alone...
At school I have access to a big old milling machine which has provided me
with 4 successful motor modifications thus far.  Also, I have a pair of nice
little 1/15 HP General Electric motors which both run at 3450 RPM (right
now). I've modified a similar one on the milling machine, and it DID cut
into the current bars (as did all of my past mods). I used the gereal rule
for determining width (1/2 dia for 3600 RPM; 1/3 dia for 1800 RPM) on all of
the mods also. So, I was thinking I could mod both of my matching motors,
one with the standard method, and one with the V cut method, and compare the
results.
A few questions before I ruin a perfectly good motor though...
How fast is the motor you've looked at?
How wide were the V cut groves in respect to the rotor diameter?
How deep are the V cuts?

With a little luck, I think I can dig up enough time to do these mods in the
midst of finals next week... The really cool thing is, it only takes me
about 10 minutes to modify a motor now, and I don't even need to test it
after i've cut the flats to the proper width!
I can't imagine life without full access to a big bad metals shop!!!

Safe coiling!

-Mike Novak