Re: Conductive paint

Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Charles.  You could try the old fashioned silver aluminum hi-heat
boiler paint available from good old hardware stores and paint suppliers.
 It is cut (thinned) with xylene and it dries real quick and you can
build up thin coats quickly.  If you use a real lot of input power on
your tank circuit then you may need reapply it at intervals.  If you use
this paint, be patient with it when applying cause it is real runny, and
you have to keep it stirred up to keep the metallic pigment in
suspension.  You may also want to try the automotive metallic or
polychromatic paints for a neat look.  There is a real lot of metallic
pigment in these paints, especially if you get a quart and drain off most
of the solvent, leaving a highly conductive slurry that you can brush
onto your forms. Another is Eastwood Auto that offers a highly metallic
stainless steel and aluminum high heat coatings for exhaust headers and
manifolds in brush or spray form that are pretty durable.   I tried some
of these coatings on various Tesla toploads and they work ok if power
levels are not excessive.   They also have metal plating kits available.
AL.

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:24:47 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've found some toroidal and spherical shaped polystyrene items. I
> had in
> mind giving them a good coat of emulsion, and then covering them
> with
> conductive paint. There seems to be jillions  makers of this stuff
> out there
> claiming very low ohms per square, and that it is ideal  for
> shielding.
> Various metal bases are advertized: silver, nickel etc.
>
> Are there any words of wisdom on this idea? I have no idea of the
> currents
> at discharge points on terminals. Would this be a limitation?
>
> Chuck

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.