Re: Depotting NST - Help!

Original poster: "Albert Hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Bill.  They are varnished paper and the mineral spirits will not harm
them.  Clean them gently by soft brushing with mineral spirits or
kerosene(my favorite).  Most of the tar will soften with a prolonged
soaking, and can be coaxed gently with a soft bristle brush.  Change your
solvent as needed as it becomes dirty and give the coils a nice final
bath in fresh solvent and gently brush again.  They will come quite clean
if you are patient.  AL.

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:49:23 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>
>
> I just had to do it, despite some recommendations not to.  (No "I
> told
> you so's" please)
>
> I used heat, and mineral spirits, and it was a heck of a mess, but I
> got
> it (15kv 60ma Franceformer) all the way down to the basic parts -
> two E
> shaped blocks, some shunts, the primary and two secondaries, with
> just
> some little bits of tar stuck here and there.
>
> I'm kind of confused about the secondaries.  I can't tell what
> they're
> made of - they look, from the side, like paper.  What do I do with
> these
> things?  Just clean them as is?  If it is paper, they're pretty well
> soaked in mineral spirits and dissolved tar.
>
> This is all sort of a grand experiment for me - any help would be
> most
> appreciated.
>
> 	- Bill Vanyo

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!