Re: "mil"

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/8/01 11:47:44 PM Central Standard Time,
twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net writes:

<< My physics
 > teacher (U. S.) in 1944 taught in the metric system and actually used the
SI
 > system of units because he didn't like teaching arithmetic for doing all
 > those nasty conversions. >>

 Hi,
 No SI in 1944. SI was not adopted in the US until 1960. (I looked it up
:-))
 It was about the time that we changed cycles until it Hertz. Your physics
 teacher probably worked in the CGS system as MKS came in around 1950. In
1944
 many physics texts were still using the FPS system.

 Cheers,
 Ralph Zekelman

Hello Ralph,

I am well aware of the U. S. not adopting SI until 1960. Of course there was
none  in 1940. No France either as far as I can recall. I was referring
mainly to a kilogram meter second system my teacher trained me into using.
The books certainly did use the CGS in 1940. Let's just say that my physics
teacher was a little nutty and way ahead of his time. He wanted everything
in kilograms and meters. Once he went into a tirade about how stupid it was
to use a hundredth of a meter as a unit. He was indeed unique.   But that
was in 1944 in High School.  I must apologize though as I  suffer  some
memory loss and an occasionally I make a Freudian slip, especially when it
comes to making precise statements or doing simple arithmetic.

Cheerio and thanks for the information.

Chuck