Re: Tank Circuit L/C ratio

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Zoran & All,

>Original poster: "Zoran Tukovic by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ztukovic-at-globalnet.hr>

>Hi All,
>
>How can we calculate and about what depending optimal L/C
ratio in primary tank
>circuit ?
>
>Regards, Zoran

I believe that optimization is achieving a balance between several constraint
equations:
1)     L1C1=L2C2         (resonance) 1=primary, 2=secondary
2)     R1<2sqrt(L1/C1)       Where R is total resistance of primary circuit
at res.freq. (ie DC  resistance, AC resistance, eddy currents, skin effect
etc.) Otherwise circuit does not oscillate.
3)     0.5*C1Vin^2 = 0.5*C2*Vout^2 ==> Vout (max)= Vin (max)*sqrt(C1/C2)
4)     For a given resonant frequency, L1*C1=const. Therefore increasing C1
to store more energy will require decreaseing L1, but this lowers the
impedance, increases the primary current (gap losses) and decreases the
coupling by reducing the promary's magnetic field.
5)     If Co is the capacitance that would resonate with the power supply
secondary winding, then at 120 bps the voltage on C1 ~V max *Sin(pi/2
*sqrt(Co/C1)).

The result of all this is usually to constrain C1 to between 1.5 and 2.5
times Co.

I believe this is correct but will welcome other input/enlightenment.

Matt D.